Sunday, September 5, 2010

Trip to a glacier.... on an HELICOPTER!

That's right!!! I got to go out on a helicopter tour to the north fork of the Yanert Glacier. It was practically free because I still kinda work for the front desk. Jake wanted to go too, but when we called them they only had room for either one large person or two very small people.... So, only one of us could go. Jake was sweet enough to let me take the seat!! (I think it also had a little to do with the fact that it was very early morning tour too!) I still felt bad leaving him behind.
This is the other helicopter flying through the high mountain passes to get to the HUGE glacier.


The Yanert Glacier is just one of many in the Alaska mountain range and Denali National Park area. Each of the larger glaciers here span 20-30 miles! It was really amazing to look straight down from the air and see all the lines and crevices in the ice, it resembled really wrinkly skin, like an elephant. Its very hard to describe just how awe inspiring and beautiful they are!
I really enjoyed the flight-seeing in a helicopter compared to a small plane, there was much less turbulence and bigger windows so we could see better and take some great photos!! I was able to get some awesome shots of the fall colors on the tundra and also of the beautiful ice blue glacier ponds. I'll be posting those photos on the facebook page soon!

I'm pushing Jake to get out on a tour ASAP because, this is one of the coolest things I have ever done!!

1 comment: